Friday, July 22, 2005

From London to Musayyib

I realised the other day that I, like many people, had expressed solidarity with Londoners after the terrorist attacks there (the first ones), but I had said nothing about the fuel tanker bombing in Iraq a few days ago, which caused an even higher death toll. An attack in London is reported widely throughout the Western world and is considered the serious, horrible event that it is. It raises anxiety in those countries that the next attack might be closer to home, wherever home may be. An attack in Iraq is reported, too, but is quickly treated as just another installment in the never-ending cycle of violence in that country. Sorry for perpetuating this sad state of affairs. In truth, I am terribly saddened by both events, even if London is closer to me geographically and culturally and, therefore, emotionally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home